Thursday, October 17, 2013

~thrifty thursday~{re-purposing clothing}

I have a very simple project to show you today.
It's one of those things that is a little
outside the box, my favorite kind.
The story starts with this sweater and wool jacket.



The sweater was a hand me down and the jacket I purchased at a thrift store for $6.99.
Do you want to see what I made with them?



Pillows!
These are great for fall/winter because of the textures and colors.
So don't throw away your outdated clothing just yet.
Those sweaters and flannels can be turned into great decorative items
for your home.




On the wool plaid one, I added a bunch of patches that I had been saving for Cody.
I've collected these since he was little and thought this would be a great spot to use them.

I don't have any instructions on how to make these. It's just 4 straight sides on the machine.
The sweater one I sewed shut {no opening}
The plaid one I simply cut the fabric so that the buttons that
run up the front of the shirt make up the opening on the back,
or the front, depending on which side you want to show.



Here's a tip if you are out thrifting for these items.
Look for clothing in size XL or bigger, you get way more material that way.
The plaid shirt I used was a XXXL.

Add your insert and you are done!



xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment