Thursday, July 17, 2014

~thrifty thursday~{sewing w/ammunition bags}

A friend recently gave me this bunch of vintage cloth ammunition bags.


When I got home I realized how perfectly one of them matched my pillows on my couch, so I decided to make a pillow to go with them.
{sorry, bad phone pic}


Here is how to make a simple envelope style pillow cover.

I started with a 18" pillow insert.
I prefer a down/feather blend, but you can use whatever you have.

Measure and cut the front of your pillow allowing for a 1/2" seam allowance.
Since my pillow insert was 18", I cut my fabric at 18 1/2" square.
{I used a drop cloth from Home Depot}



Then I cut off the front of the ammo bag and attached it to the center of my pillow front using a iron and heat n bond. All of these iron on adhesives come with full instructions.


Next you will want to cut the back pieces.
If you use a drop cloth like I am, you can make it so you don't have to do any extra sewing by using the edges that are already finished. 

Cut 2 pieces that will overlap. Mine were approx. 18 1/2" by 12" and 18 1/2" by 10 1/2" 

I didn't get a picture of the next steps, but I sewed the ammo bag around the edges, in about 1/4"

Then position your back pieces onto the front piece, right side to right side and pin all the way around.

Sew all four sides going back and forth over where it will open to ensure it is strong enough.

Turn right side out and wash and dry. Your edges will then fray a bit on the ammo bag.


Add your insert and you are done!





It found it's home on our leather chair in the living room which sits next to our couch. I love how the pillows all compliment each other!


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment