Tuesday, January 27, 2015

~get a weathered wood look on painted furniture~

Restoration Hardware is famous for it's weathered wood surfaces.


Years ago I set out to create this look on our dining room table, which was painted black.
It was actually a super simple process, so I thought I'd share with you how I did it.


The first thing I did was sand all the black off.
I could've used a paint stripper, but it was the middle of winter and I didn't want the fumes.
Besides that I always work on impulse, and sandpaper and a palm sander was all I had on hand.
I didn't worry too much about getting in all the nooks and crannies.


When that was all sanded I lived with it like this for a while.
Then when I couldn't stand the orangey color anymore, I headed to Home Depot and got some weathered gray stain.

I used a cheap foam brush and a rag to apply the stain and then wipe off, until I got the color I was hoping for.


 The result was just what I was looking for.


A close up of the before below....


And the after.
For not much money and minimal work, it made a huge difference.


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment