Tuesday, March 17, 2015

~my home sweet home banner~ {diy}



I have seen these adorable banners popping up all over the place.
I think they are so cute, and I liked the idea of making my own to customize the wording.
So, I rummaged around and found a piece of leather scrap, and luckily was able to cut it using my paper cutter.

Mine is about 15" x 20" 

After I cut the leather I headed to my local craft store and used their die cut machine to cut out letters onto black felt. I also picked up a wooden dowel 
{which I later cut down to 17"}
 and some fabric glue.

If you don't have leather, you can use any fabric.
I liked the idea of leather because I could leave the edges raw, meaning no sewing.


I was so happy to see how easily it was to cut the felt using the die cut machine.
I think I will have to dream up even more projects with these letters now.


I eyeballed where I wanted the letters, then just glued them on with this fabric glue.


While it was drying I darkened up the dowel a bit with dark wax. 
You could use stain, or paint for this too.


Once all that was dry I put a row of liquid nails on the backside and rolled the dowel up, securing it with painters tape overnight.
Finally, {not pictured}
I used twine and a hot glue gun to secure a hanger to the dowel.




Here is another project I made using the same leather scraps.


I think this is one of my new favorite projects.
I hope it inspires you to make one!


I also hope you have a wonderful St. Patricks day.
It's my husbands birthday so I am off to bake up some key lime cake.

xoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment