Thursday, May 1, 2014

~thrifty thursday~ {candle making}

Don't ask me why I am crafting in the middle of the One Room Challenge.
I guess I am crazy like that.

So, I had all these Annie Sloan empty quarts of paint and wax containers sitting around.
Their packaging is so cute~I'm a sucker for cute packaging.

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to use the empty containers to make candles.
I am no candle expert, so please don't hold me responsible if you burn something.
Just saying….

Here is what you need and the steps to make your own candle:

Scent, I bought mine on amazon, but I also bought some lavender at my local craft store.

 Containers {make sure paint residue is fully dried}
wicks, again, local craft store, and a metal skewer.
 I also found it cheapest to buy the wax online.
I think I got this on amazon.
 I also picked up a 99 cent pot at the goodwill because I didn't want to ruin one of my good ones.
Melt your wax in a pot of hot water on low, stirring constantly.
When it melted fully, I added the scent.
I didn't measure, I just poured it in.
 Before pouring the wax in you will need to attach your wick to a skewer on the top.
 I poured 1/2 way, let that set up, and then poured the rest in.
I am not sure if this is necessary with soy wax, but I did it anyway.

 Let set up for a few hours.
Then top off with more melted wax.

Let sit overnight then remove skewer and trim wick to 1/4" and enjoy!




I will be taking the next 3 days off blogging to finish my ORC.
However I will be back Monday with a great big huge giveaway, and you can always follow along with me on instagram where I post a ton of photos!
Click here to follow!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment