Saturday, December 14, 2013
~candy cane brownies~
Candy Cane Brownies
YIELD: 16 browniesPREP TIME: 20 minutes COOK TIME: 35 minutes
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 full sized peppermint candy canes, crushed
2 full sized (3.17oz) dark chocolate bars (I used Ghiradelli Intense Dark, Midnight Reverie)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick spray or softened butter. Line the pan with parchment paper; grease parchment paper (this ensures easy removal of brownies).
3. Place butter, chocolate, cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons of crushed candy canes (reserve the rest for the layering steps) in a heatproof medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until butter and chocolate are melted. The candy canes will not completely melt, so small specks will remain in chocolate mixture. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
5. Place both kinds of sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Carefully add the chocolate mixture and beat until combined. Add flour mixture and beat, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowls as needed, until ingredients are combined.
6. Pour half of the batter into prepared baking pan. Break the chocolate bars into squares and place them, evenly spaced, around the top of the brownie batter. Sprinkle with half of the reserved candy cane pieces. Top with the remaining batter and sprinkle the remaining candy cane pieces on top.
7. Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the brownies comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet. Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Lift the brownies out using the parchment paper and allow to completely cool on wire rack. Cut into 16 brownies. Eat and repeat.
Recipe from here.