Thursday, August 22, 2013

~thrifty thursday~{wine barrel server}

Have you seen this wine barrel server from Ballard Designs?



I love it, but for $169? No thanks, I'll make one myself.
Here is how you too, can make one!


It all started with 3 wine barrel rings I picked up at a garage sale for $1 a piece.


Then some wood, tongue and groove, from a different garage sale in the free pile.



Another thing you will need is a lazy susan. My mom picked this one up for me at a garage sale. Price, $2.50. Price for me~FREE.


As you can see I have squirted wood glue on the top of it.
After you do that you need to lay your wood on top and leave to dry overnight.



Make sure you make your wood pieces big enough to accommodate your ring. In my case, I needed to overlap the lazy susan, so I used magazines to prop up the ends until the glue was dry. I also added a few small nails with my nail gun to make sure it was really secure.


When it's all dry you will need to stain your wood.
This is what I used:



I applied the stain with a rag and went pretty heavy because I wanted it to be really dark.
Let the stain dry overnight.



Once the glue and stain is dry you need to trace the inside of the metal ring with a
pencil onto the wood. Make sure it is centered with your lazy susan underneath.



Next, carefully cut on the pencil line using a jigsaw.


Here is the back:


Now you need to fit your ring around the cut out circle of wood.
It should be a tight fit. You may or may not need to sand down the edges to make the fit better.



Now that the ring is around the wood, you need to secure it. You will need
a drill with a small drill bit and these nails:




Next, drill holes all the way around however close you would like them. I did mine about every 4". You are
only drilling through the metal, not the wood.


Then in each hole, hammer a nail into the wood to secure.



Next comes the stencil. I get my stencils here.



while that is drying, have a glass of tea and put your feet up!


After the stencil was dry, I sanded it down in the direction of the grain of the wood, and then put on a coat of Annie Sloan dark wax.
Sorry, I didn't get a picture of that.


Here it is done and on my kitchen island. It's huge, 27" diameter!









Since I had all the supplies on hand and my mom gave me the lazy susan, would you believe I only spent $1.00 on this whole project? I just saved $168.00!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment