Tuesday, January 20, 2015

~industrial pipe closet system~

Our master closet was recently in need of some serious overhauling.
I wanted something super custom and a little out of the ordinary.
I've had fun lately with pipe, building little things here and there, so we decided to try our hands at a pipe closet system.
Let me tell you, it's way harder than it looks. It requires at least 543 trips to the home improvement store to get new pipe and return pieces you thought you needed.
You may be a bit more organized than I am though.

Since we were completely starting from scratch,
{literally ripped out the drywall in the old closet}
we decided to line the whole thing with cedar, ceiling and all.
There is many benefits to cedar in a closet, not just aesthetics.
Cedar removes any moisture from the air, and it deters bugs that like to eat clothes.
We just happen to like the look of it too, so it was a win win.

We used black plumbing pipe. I did seal it so it won't rust.
For shelving we used old scaffolding planks. 
I love the rustic quality of them and the lettering on them is kinda cool.

For socks and other small misc. items, I have a set of old locker baskets that I purchased from a garage sale for $5 each.

Once the whole thing was done, I went to Ikea and bought all matching wood hangers.
I love how the whole thing turned out. It is super functional for us, and even though the process was a headache, I am glad we did it.
This will definitely stand up over time.

Are you ready to see?
It was a tricky place to get photos of, but I did my best.

These shelves are all for shoes. They take up almost the entire wall on the side with the entry door.
There is 7 shelves and we left the bottom one with extra space for tall boots.



This is the side opposite the shoe racks.
A his and her side on either side of the locker baskets.


Here you can see shoe racks on the left and lockers on the right.


And some misc. photos…







Have you used pipe in any unconventional ways?
I'd love to hear about it!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment