Friday, May 22, 2015

~living room refresh~

I teamed up with these lovely bloggers to show you how to refresh your living room!


Sometimes we all just need a little pick me up, some fresh new pillows, flowers from the garden, etc. to brighten things up.

When it came to our living room I thought really hard about the purpose this room serves. What we really use this space for. 
I also kept in consideration the upcoming summer months, and how it is used during that time.

I came to the conclusion that this really is a kid hang out room in the summer. 
The kids go swimming in the lake and then come back and plop down on the couch for a movie, maybe a board game on the coffee table, a few snacks….

So, here is how I added a little life and summer fun into our living room!
{sources at the bottom of the post}


The very first thing I did was hang this flag.
I have had it forever, as well as the frame, so I put it together, got on a ladder and hung it up high!
The ceilings in our living room are 12' tall, so it filled up this space nicely.


I think the flag might be my favorite part of the room.




Now here's a funny story.
When I had the ladder on top of that console table to hang the flag, I stepped back to view it all and realized how nicely the blue in the ladder looked with the flag!
So I took a copy of the ladder with my phone and took it to the hardware store and picked 
out a paint to match.
I painted this bucket and added fresh flowers from the yard.
Voila!


Ok, I lied.
This coffee table is my new favorite.
And it has a story.
It was my husbands when he was little, how special is that?
The whole piece was green, which happens to be my favorite color, but after getting it in the room I realized it was just too much color.
So, I sanded down the top to reveal the wood and put a coat of clear wax on it to seal it.
It's much bigger than our previous coffee table and I am loving to!
I also had to cut 3" off of each leg to make it the right height.


Since a few days ago when I did this little living room refresh, we have played many games of junior trivia and dominoes. :)




I brought out some more of the kids' board games and piled them high on my books.


I also piled on the pillows.
Lots and lots of pillows, most I had but I did pick up the blue vintage ticking ones at a antique store.
I wanted to keep the pillows fairly neutral since there is so much color going on in the room elsewhere.





Do you see how just a few accessories and pops of color can change the look entirely? 
Here is a before picture:


And after:


sources:

Lamps~ Homegoods
Wood bucket~ Home Depot
Paint on Wood bucket~ Behr "tornado season"
Shutters~ antique
Gallery frames~ {I don't see the exact ones, mine are about 13x17} Ikea
Flag~ My Sweet Savannah
Pillows~ Dreamy Whites, Great Findz, vintage {similar here}
Sectional~ Pottery Barn
Ceiling light~ Pottery Barn
Jute Rug~ {8x10}  Rugs USA
Zebra rug~ local antique store
Bench behind couch~ Craigslist
Wall color~ Behr Swiss Coffee
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment