Friday, November 21, 2014

~oh deer, it's a holiday thrift shop challenge~

Alice from Thoughts From Alice asked if I'd like to participate in a challenge making over a holiday item from the thrift store. Since thrift store is my middle name, 
I didn't hesitate to say yes.

I found these 4 matching deer ornaments at my local thrift shop for $3.99.


I thought they were pretty cute as is, but decided to dress them up a bit. 
I bought 4 of these unfinished wooden shield plaques from Joanne Fabrics, along with some vintage looking floral scrapbooking papers.


The first step was to cut the paper to fit the tops of the plaques. I did this by flipping the plaques over and tracing around them with pencil onto the paper and cutting out. 
Modge podge them onto the plaques.


Any excess paper can be sanded off. 
This step also helps create a worn vintage look.


Drill holes through the tops of each one so you can hang them as ornaments on your tree.


They should look like this at this point.


The next step is to age them. I used Annie Sloan dark wax and a rag, but you can also use stain.
Go over the outside edges and smudge it onto the paper a bit as well.
Let dry.



Before and after the dark wax.


Use ribbon, or twine to tie a bow.
I used liquid nails to attach the deer to the center of each plaque and let them dry overnight.


I love how they turned out.
I wish there was more than four!



I hung them on my tree in our dining room.







This tree is new to me this year too.
It's a narrow frosted frazier fir from Balsam Hill.
I've always wanted a frosted tree and this one looks so real!

Don't forget to check out everyone else's thrift shop makeovers:


Glam Christmas Throw Pillows by Thoughts from Alice





A Deerly Beloved Thrift Store Vignette by Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson





Christmas Cloche by Craftberry Bush

A Vintage Mantel for Winter by Finding Silver Pennies



DIY Holiday Walling Hanging by House of Hipsters


Christmas Decor from Thrifty Find by Town and Country Living

The Trellis Tree by Cozy Little House


DIY Centerpiece Tray by Cherished Bliss





Rustic Christmas Tree by Delineate Your Dwelling





DIY Crocks by So Much Better With Age




xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment